[Open-hard-software-event] My first open hardware project

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jun 29 16:04:33 CEST 2011

Hello and welcome,

Am 29.06.2011 um 15:44 schrieb rhn:

> Hello!
>
> I've just made a bicycle computer (HW/SW) and I'd like to release it as a free project. It would be the first open project I start, so I'd like to ask more experienced people for guidance in releasing it.
> I realize that this is a list about the particular event, but I can't think of a better place to ask. If the project gains traction, maybe I will be able to participate in the event, too (after I brush up on my German)!

Would be nice! Well, you can present in English but you should be able to follow discussions in German or you won't get the feedback you are looking for.

> The project itself is available here: http://rhn.github.com/jazda/

Looks interesting. There was a similar project presented some years ago on Linux Tag:

http://obico.de/

but I think their project stalled. Maybe, we can also invite them to come and you may be able to merge activities?

> As far as I reckon, there's no other free bicycle computer project in active development, and none came close to the costs I reached, so I am fairly optimistic :)
> Still, I have a few concerns before a proper release, like the documentation quality, code quality, assembly guide, how to release hardware documentation etc.
>
> I hope someone can comment on whether I did it properly or if it needs more work.
>
> Cheers,
> rhn
>
> PS. Sorry for using English, my German is not as good as it used to be

Kein Problem!