[Open-hard-software-event] My first open hardware project

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 23:59:45 CEST 2011

Am Mittwoch 29 Juni 2011, 15:44:09 schrieb rhn:
> Hello!
>
> I've just made a bicycle computer (HW/SW) and I'd like to release it as a
> free project. It would be the first open project I start, so I'd like to
> ask more experienced people for guidance in releasing it. I realize that
> this is a list about the particular event, but I can't think of a better
> place to ask. If the project gains traction, maybe I will be able to
> participate in the event, too (after I brush up on my German)!
>
> The project itself is available here: http://rhn.github.com/jazda/
Looks good!

> As far as I reckon, there's no other free bicycle computer project in
> active development, and none came close to the costs I reached, so I am
> fairly optimistic :) Still, I have a few concerns before a proper release,
> like the documentation quality, code quality, assembly guide, how to
> release hardware documentation etc.
>
> I hope someone can comment on whether I did it properly or if it needs more
> work.
I had a (very) quick look at the project (don't have lots of time right now)
and it seems quite ok. For myself I published the eagle files and tried to
document as much as possible in a wiki. You can have a look here:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Freerunner_Navigation_Board
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Freerunner_Navigation_Board_v2
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Freerunner_Navigation_Board_v3 (WIP)

I know that the documentation is not the best yet. I'm trying to improve it
whenever I have time or when someone asks questions which are not documented
yet.

I would just release as much informatio as possible (if you want, as early as
possible) to give other people a chance to build and/or use your bicycle
computer for themselves. They hopefully will ask or complain if something is
missing.

Best regards,
  Christoph