[Letux-kernel] g_ether in LetuxOS

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Thu Apr 4 18:19:11 CEST 2019

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 18:03:35 +0200

> > Am 04.04.2019 um 17:44 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 14:26:58 +0200
> > "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> we still use g_ether but there seems to be a replacement:
> >>
> >> 	https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/blog/2019/02/18/modern-usb-gadget-on-linux-and-how-to-integrate-it-with-systemd-(part-1)/
> >>
> >> Any ideas if and when we should try to set it up as default?
> >>
> > well, first what do we want to achieve and make available as
> > wall-trodden trails to the user? I normally do not use g_ether
> > and my gta04 is a combinated network-adapter, serial console, debian install
> > cd and ordinary small usb stick.
>
> g_ether is the default for accessing LetuxOS through USB. It allows to ssh
> into the device or scp or rsync files to it without opening it or setting
> up a wireless connection.
>
> One more idea would be to allow it to be mounted as an USB memory device
> so that the /home directory or some files can easily be accessed. Similar
> to how the tolino ebook reader is showing itself.

well, the partition is afaik umounted for that. At least the kobo then
does not allow other usage.

> So my idea would be to provide a tested and working standard-install
> to modernize g_ether by the configfs and add something like g_storage.
>
> What I don't know is if it is possible to have both in parallel... I.e.
> that a device is mounted as a memory device and we can still ssh into
> it...

having both as usb functions is no problem. My functions mentioned
above work all together. But having both mounted read-write will
probably create big chaos. I have a separate image for such things.
That can even be a file to be loopback mounted. So I have some data
exchange.
Or a decision via some init script to mount the whole card at boot
and do nothing else (sd boot). If we boot from nand, we could even
export it during a normal boot.