[Letux-kernel] g_ether in LetuxOS

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Apr 4 18:03:35 CEST 2019

> Am 04.04.2019 um 17:44 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 14:26:58 +0200
>
>> Hi,
>> we still use g_ether but there seems to be a replacement:
>>
>> 	https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/blog/2019/02/18/modern-usb-gadget-on-linux-and-how-to-integrate-it-with-systemd-(part-1)/
>>
>> Any ideas if and when we should try to set it up as default?
>>
> well, first what do we want to achieve and make available as
> wall-trodden trails to the user? I normally do not use g_ether
> and my gta04 is a combinated network-adapter, serial console, debian install
> cd and ordinary small usb stick.

g_ether is the default for accessing LetuxOS through USB. It allows to ssh
into the device or scp or rsync files to it without opening it or setting
up a wireless connection.

One more idea would be to allow it to be mounted as an USB memory device
so that the /home directory or some files can easily be accessed. Similar
to how the tolino ebook reader is showing itself.

So my idea would be to provide a tested and working standard-install
to modernize g_ether by the configfs and add something like g_storage.

What I don't know is if it is possible to have both in parallel... I.e.
that a device is mounted as a memory device and we can still ssh into
it...