[Letux-kernel] fb tiler considered harmful

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Tue Feb 14 08:01:25 CET 2017

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 04:18:16 +0100
Matthijs van Duin <matthijsvanduin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nikolaus, when I tried to merge my rebased patch branches into
> letux-4.10-rc8 I got a big mess of merge conflicts because you merged
> previous patches from me into it already. Please don't.
>
> On 10 February 2017 at 11:37, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It is easy to remove them completely
> >

> Please do so from your main letux branch while the patches are still
> in development, I'm currently relying on it being a (or rather the
> only) known-working kernel for the pyra which I can use to test my
> patches.

+1
Well, I generated the branch list from the big merge commit and
did a merge myself without that not-ready tiled-fb stuff using the
merge script.

But I would favour to be able to just use the letux-4.10-rc8 branches
directly without having only a white screen after booting.

If that is important for some showcase, merge it on top of
letux-4.10-rc8 to form a pyra-showcase-4.10-rc8 branch
or something like that.

> but then we have no default kernel to test the Pyra with properly
> rotated
> > screen.
> >

> You can make such a kernel at any time by merging the latest version
> of my patch/tiler-fbdev into the base letux kernel.
>
> I also explicitly mentioned patch/tiler-buf-dumb should not be merged
> at
> > all, not even for pyra.
> >
> > Treat it as my attempt to do a quality assessment...
> >

> What part about "should not be merged at all" is so hard to get?
>
> I don't need a quality assessment of it, I'm perfectly aware that it
> is neither necessary nor useful for the rotated fbdev, breaks all
> dma-buf clients of omapdrm (including SGX) on targets with tiler, and
> breaks omapdrm almost entirely on targets without tiler.
>
> PLEASE STOP MERGING THAT PATCH.

So that tiler-buf-dumb branch is really the main evil here?