[Letux-kernel] fb tiler considered harmful

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Feb 14 08:51:05 CET 2017

Hi Andreas,

> Am 14.02.2017 um 08:01 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 04:18:16 +0100
> Matthijs van Duin <matthijsvanduin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nikolaus, when I tried to merge my rebased patch branches into
>> letux-4.10-rc8 I got a big mess of merge conflicts because you merged
>> previous patches from me into it already. Please don't.
>>
>> On 10 February 2017 at 11:37, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It is easy to remove them completely
>>>

>> Please do so from your main letux branch while the patches are still
>> in development, I'm currently relying on it being a (or rather the
>> only) known-working kernel for the pyra which I can use to test my
>> patches.
>>
> +1
> Well, I generated the branch list from the big merge commit and
> did a merge myself without that not-ready tiled-fb stuff using the
> merge script.
>
> But I would favour to be able to just use the letux-4.10-rc8 branches
> directly without having only a white screen after booting.

Well, in my setup I didn't have a white screen, neither on GTA04 nor on
Pyra so I never noticed a problem myself... On GTA04 it works for me
while on Pyra I don't get a rotated screen.

> If that is important for some showcase, merge it on top of
> letux-4.10-rc8 to form a pyra-showcase-4.10-rc8 branch
> or something like that.

Well, it should not be a special showcase, it should be possible to
point pyra and gta04 users to the latest letux kernel w/o making such
differences. It is the core philosophy of the letux kernel to support
all devices.

If there is a bug we should not fix it by workarounds that users can
see and make them trouble. And pointing people to different kernel
flavours is not a solution.

So my main goal is to get the Pyra rotated screen working in 4.10-rc9
without influencing the GTA04 screen.

That is what we should work on. Not workarounds for either.

>> but then we have no default kernel to test the Pyra with properly
>> rotated
>>> screen.
>>>

>> You can make such a kernel at any time by merging the latest version
>> of my patch/tiler-fbdev into the base letux kernel.
>>
>> I also explicitly mentioned patch/tiler-buf-dumb should not be merged
>> at
>>> all, not even for pyra.
>>>
>>> Treat it as my attempt to do a quality assessment...
>>>

>> What part about "should not be merged at all" is so hard to get?
>>
>> I don't need a quality assessment of it, I'm perfectly aware that it
>> is neither necessary nor useful for the rotated fbdev, breaks all
>> dma-buf clients of omapdrm (including SGX) on targets with tiler, and
>> breaks omapdrm almost entirely on targets without tiler.
>>
>> PLEASE STOP MERGING THAT PATCH.
>>
> So that tiler-buf-dumb branch is really the main evil here?

A first step seems to be to remove the tiler-buf-dumb branch because
it does not solve the Pyra issue but adds one for GTA04 (and probably
for OpenPandora as well). I will push it in some minutes. Then please
test.