[Letux-kernel] fb tiler considered harmful

Matthijs van Duin matthijsvanduin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 04:18:16 CET 2017

Nikolaus, when I tried to merge my rebased patch branches into
letux-4.10-rc8 I got a big mess of merge conflicts because you merged
previous patches from me into it already. Please don't.

On 10 February 2017 at 11:37, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>
wrote:

> It is easy to remove them completely

Please do so from your main letux branch while the patches are still in
development, I'm currently relying on it being a (or rather the only)
known-working kernel for the pyra which I can use to test my patches.

but then we have no default kernel to test the Pyra with properly rotated
> screen.

You can make such a kernel at any time by merging the latest version of my
patch/tiler-fbdev into the base letux kernel.

I also explicitly mentioned patch/tiler-buf-dumb should not be merged at
> all, not even for pyra.
>
> Treat it as my attempt to do a quality assessment...

What part about "should not be merged at all" is so hard to get?

I don't need a quality assessment of it, I'm perfectly aware that it is
neither necessary nor useful for the rotated fbdev, breaks all dma-buf
clients of omapdrm (including SGX) on targets with tiler, and breaks
omapdrm almost entirely on targets without tiler.

PLEASE STOP MERGING THAT PATCH.

Matthijs