[Lenny400] More patches for linux-stable

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Sep 3 18:01:19 CEST 2017

On Sunday 3. September 2017 17.24.42 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> I have tried to apply the previous diff and it failed in two files. And
> I wasn't able to git am the new patch at all :(

I imagine that git really wants the changeset identifiers to match and
complains if they don't. Standard diff and patch can obviously get around this
by not caring. ;-)

> So I think we should work differently. More like Linux kernel development
> is done.
>
> A key problem is to distinguish between new patches to be applied after
> older ones and patches replacing older patches and are to be applied to
> some base (mainline or different) tree. So it is not clear where to apply
> a patch to.

Yes, the last patch was somehow mislabelled, whereas the new one referenced
the correct changeset identifiers in its name. Unfortunately, these changesets
don't mean anything if the repository history is not shared.

> The easiest thing might be if you have some git repo where you can publish
> your work so that I can cherry-pick things.
>
> Alternatively you would have to tightly follow the Letux repo and work
> on separate branches.

Maybe I should try and work on the branch of the gta04-kernel repository that
you set up. At least then the changeset identifiers will have a meaning when
you apply the patches.