[Lenny400] More patches for linux-stable

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Sep 3 18:20:52 CEST 2017

Hi Paul,

> Am 03.09.2017 um 18:01 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Sunday 3. September 2017 17.24.42 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>
>> I have tried to apply the previous diff and it failed in two files. And
>> I wasn't able to git am the new patch at all :(
>
> I imagine that git really wants the changeset identifiers to match and
> complains if they don't. Standard diff and patch can obviously get around this
> by not caring. ;-)
>
>> So I think we should work differently. More like Linux kernel development
>> is done.
>>
>> A key problem is to distinguish between new patches to be applied after
>> older ones and patches replacing older patches and are to be applied to
>> some base (mainline or different) tree. So it is not clear where to apply
>> a patch to.
>
> Yes, the last patch was somehow mislabelled, whereas the new one referenced
> the correct changeset identifiers in its name. Unfortunately, these changesets
> don't mean anything if the repository history is not shared.
>
>> The easiest thing might be if you have some git repo where you can publish
>> your work so that I can cherry-pick things.
>>
>> Alternatively you would have to tightly follow the Letux repo and work
>> on separate branches.
>
> Maybe I should try and work on the branch of the gta04-kernel repository that
> you set up. At least then the changeset identifiers will have a meaning when
> you apply the patches.

An alternative could be that you manage and git push --force to the two relevant
branches on the gta04-kernel.git.

Then you could simply push the latest version there. And if you just want to
overwrite, git push --force. Or append squashed merges to simplify history that
goes public.

A minor issue is that the public git may be ahead of mine so I may have to git pull
or git reset --hard to track changes.

And, my rebasing to latest linus/master may interfere. This is easy to solve if
we split this in two branches. One where you write/update and one where I do
the rebasing and merging. And then I can simply copy things from the first to
the second.

But in any case it would keep things in sync or at least tell if it isn't.

To get write access you would have to install your SHA key at projects.goldelico.com
and I have to make you a project member. Then you can check out/check in through
git clone ssh://_git@git.goldelico.com/gta04-kernel.git