[Lenny400] More patches for linux-stable

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Sep 3 17:24:42 CEST 2017

Hi Paul,

> Am 03.09.2017 um 13:54 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Sunday 3. September 2017 11.24.58 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I think the platform/board files can be almost eliminated. Or replaced
>> with generic MIPS/Ingenic boilerplate. For OMAP devices it took ca. 10
>> major kernel releases to boil down the platform and board files to a
>> single generic board file:
>>
>> http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.13-rc7/source/arch/arm/mach-
> omap2/board-generic.c
>
> We might try and aim for that, then.
>
>> Hm. Could we change to use git format-patch which makes it easier to apply
>> to the Letux tree?
>>
>> Maybe this helps to squash multiple commits into a single one:
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/616556/how-do-you-squash-commits-into-
> one-patch-with-git-format-patch
>
> Thanks for the advice! I was trying to remember the name of the command, but
> just took the easier route. Here is what I did this time:
>
> git checkout a1fb913ce11d7102bf9c514c8cfbdc957adc46ba
> git checkout -b tmp-patches
> git merge --squash master
> git commit
> git format-patch --stdout a1fb913ce11d7102 > filename.diff
>
> I've attached the actual patch file to this message.

I have tried to apply the previous diff and it failed in two files. And
I wasn't able to git am the new patch at all :(

So I think we should work differently. More like Linux kernel development
is done.

A key problem is to distinguish between new patches to be applied after
older ones and patches replacing older patches and are to be applied to
some base (mainline or different) tree. So it is not clear where to apply
a patch to.

The easiest thing might be if you have some git repo where you can publish
your work so that I can cherry-pick things.

Alternatively you would have to tightly follow the Letux repo and work
on separate branches.