[Lenny400] Patches for linux-stable

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Sep 2 13:51:32 CEST 2017

Hi Paul,
here is my result...

In a first step, I have split up your diff-patch into two.

A first one for introducing the jz4730 SoC and the other one
for introducing the mipsbook_400 (device tree).

Splitting SoC and device into two separate patch sets should
allow to develop things more in parallel and more easily
getting things upstream sometime in the future...

To that I have added the power management controller driver
by Daniel and some defconfig settings so it is now a total of
four branches.

You must

1. checkout letux-base (or e.g. v4.13-rc7)
2. merge/cherry-pick work/pboddie/mips/jz4730 work/hns/mipsbook400/dt work/hns/mipsbook400/pm work/hns/mips/defconfig

You can find the individual branches here:

	http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=heads

Here is the merge result for easier access:

	http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/letux-4.13-rc7-mipsbook-400

This compiles (at least the DTC succeeds for me) and I get a nice

-rw-r--r--  1 hns  staff  6639  2 Sep 11:42 arch/mips/boot/dts/ingenic/mipsbook_400.dtb

Now I hope that our diff+patch vs. git approaches do not conflict and we do not have
to redo this work each time :)

The ideal approach IMHO is to follow the linux-kernel style to work on patch sets, e.g. work/hns/mipsbook400/dt
and edit the history (not only piling up commits). There is always a warning that you never should do a
"git push --force origin branch" but there is an equivalent of "git reset --hard origin/branch" on the other end...

Otherwise mainline kernel development won't work.

Talking about mainline, Linus will publish most likely 4.13-rc8 on Monday (or even 4.13.0) and
I will then rebase and merge everything so that there is also a merged result available.

Well, it will need much more time than moving files around and editing patches until I can really
help testing and report a first boot-log. Initially I have to remove dust from my Letux 400 units
and find one which has the RS232 connector installed (or have to open the device and add the
connector). Then I have to learn again how to format a bootable SD card (or patch the makesd script)...

If you have patches for cherry-picking or squashing into the feature branches mentioned above, please
share them.

BR and thanks,
Nikolaus