[Lenny400] Patches for linux-stable

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Sep 2 17:01:31 CEST 2017

Hi,

> Am 02.09.2017 um 13:51 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>
> Hi Paul,
> here is my result...
>
> In a first step, I have split up your diff-patch into two.
>
> A first one for introducing the jz4730 SoC and the other one
> for introducing the mipsbook_400 (device tree).

I forgot to mention that I added some stubs for i2c and i2s to the jz4730.dtsi.

And of course I added individual patches for keyboard, buttons, leds, sound, etc.
to the mipsbook_400.dts. Still untested but should not to be too far away from
what we need.

What I did not do is to remove anything from the board file. This needs to be
done carefully, including a comparison with the DT so that we do not loose
anything important (although we always can look into the git history).

> Splitting SoC and device into two separate patch sets should
> allow to develop things more in parallel and more easily
> getting things upstream sometime in the future...
>
> To that I have added the power management controller driver
> by Daniel and some defconfig settings so it is now a total of
> four branches.
>
> You must
>
> 1. checkout letux-base (or e.g. v4.13-rc7)
> 2. merge/cherry-pick work/pboddie/mips/jz4730 work/hns/mipsbook400/dt work/hns/mipsbook400/pm work/hns/mips/defconfig
>
> You can find the individual branches here:
>
> 	http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=heads
>
> Here is the merge result for easier access:
>
> 	http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/letux-4.13-rc7-mipsbook-400
>
> This compiles (at least the DTC succeeds for me)

I now have fixed my cross-gcc includes and it seems to compile fine. I get a 4.2 MB large uImage
and 75 MByte kernel modules (unstripped)...

This might be too big for NAND, but for SD card it should be ok.

Well, I have a letux_defconfig that includes a lot of convenience stuff and is more or less a copy
of the ARM defconfig. Thinning this out to the required minimum will certainly reduce the uImage.

Here is what I got from my build-script...

http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.13-rc7-l400/

> and I get a nice
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 hns  staff  6639  2 Sep 11:42 arch/mips/boot/dts/ingenic/mipsbook_400.dtb
>
> Now I hope that our diff+patch vs. git approaches do not conflict and we do not have
> to redo this work each time :)
>
> The ideal approach IMHO is to follow the linux-kernel style to work on patch sets, e.g. work/hns/mipsbook400/dt
> and edit the history (not only piling up commits). There is always a warning that you never should do a
> "git push --force origin branch" but there is an equivalent of "git reset --hard origin/branch" on the other end...
>
> Otherwise mainline kernel development won't work.
>
> Talking about mainline, Linus will publish most likely 4.13-rc8 on Monday (or even 4.13.0) and
> I will then rebase and merge everything so that there is also a merged result available.
>
> Well, it will need much more time than moving files around and editing patches until I can really
> help testing and report a first boot-log. Initially I have to remove dust from my Letux 400 units
> and find one which has the RS232 connector installed (or have to open the device and add the
> connector). Then I have to learn again how to format a bootable SD card (or patch the makesd script)...
>
> If you have patches for cherry-picking or squashing into the feature branches mentioned above, please
> share them.
>
> BR and thanks,
> Nikolaus

BR and thanks for stimulating the fun while working on this :)