[Lenny400] Patches for linux-stable

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Sep 1 23:35:44 CEST 2017

Hi,

> Am 01.09.2017 um 23:20 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Friday 1. September 2017 22.55.54 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>
>> I also took the time to add an untested draft for:
>> * keyboard matrix
>> * touch buttons
>
> I guess this will eliminate some things from the board file that are currently
> present as not-very-pretty arrays.

Indeed.

>> * LEDs
>> * i2c peripherals (rtc, power controller, audio codec)
>> * sound
>> * letux_defconfig to add drivers for matrix keyboard, rtc chip, wifi chip
>
> Yes, particularly the latter is something I'm not tracking aggressively, which
> means that I need to remember to enable things before claiming they compile.
>
>> What may be very difficult is to get Ethernet working. The RTL8201CL
>> is said to have no driver...
>
> Maybe this is the "encoded" character driver David mentioned.
>
>> What I think is missing in DT is:
>> * LCD and backlight
>
> I'm looking at that now. The LCD driver may only need minimal changes because
> the SoCs are so similar. I will introduce some extra logic for testing for the
> JZ4730 and eliminating some apparently unsupported functions (BPP > 16),
> however.

Fine!

>> * detecting AC and Battery charging
>> * i2c and i2s drivers on SoC side
>> * some pinmux
>> * power control for WiFi on/off
>>
>> But I would say we have an untested and undebugged pile of ideas which
>> already cover 70% of the device...
>
> Yes.
>
> [...]
>
>> finding what has changed is even simpler:
>>
>> git diff --names-only <from> <to>
>
> Well, my excuse is that I don't navigate git manual pages very easily.
> Probably because I'm usually thinking how much easier Mercurial is, I guess.
> :-)

git itself is fine - except the command line interface.

> [...]
>
>> Well, in this case it might be simple. My goal is to try to keep history as
>> good as possible... This involves mixing git diff and blame and forming a
>> series of new commits by git commit -C. It roughly works, but seems to
>> loose some deletions and file renames. So if I merge things back it still
>> differs.
>
> Especially things like renames, additions and removals are tricky to track
> when capturing and presenting patches.
>
> [...]
>
>> Well, I have a different setup with a multi-architecture-cross-gcc-4.9.
>> The ARM side works fine for years... Only the mips side comes up with such
>> hickups. But more time will make it working :)
>
> OK, I won't advise in this regard. Personally, though, I'm very happy with the
> Debian cross-toolchains: they've been good for a couple of years, perhaps, and
> I've deployed their code on the Ben NanoNote and PIC32MX without any problems.

Well, I could use the GTA04 or Pyra to cross-compile (they run Debian), but
up/downloading sources and results is a little time consuming since the bottleneck
is the network. Doing everything locally is faster - but my machine does not
have a Debian. Except in Virtual Box where importing/exporting sources and
results is also not that nice.

Anyways, I just need to invest some more time to locate the missing or wrong
-I path. Maybe it is just referencing the ARM compiler and doesn't find MIPS
specific headers...