[Lenny400] Patches for linux-stable

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Sep 1 23:20:47 CEST 2017

On Friday 1. September 2017 22.55.54 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> I also took the time to add an untested draft for:
> * keyboard matrix
> * touch buttons

I guess this will eliminate some things from the board file that are currently
present as not-very-pretty arrays.

> * LEDs
> * i2c peripherals (rtc, power controller, audio codec)
> * sound
> * letux_defconfig to add drivers for matrix keyboard, rtc chip, wifi chip

Yes, particularly the latter is something I'm not tracking aggressively, which
means that I need to remember to enable things before claiming they compile.

> What may be very difficult is to get Ethernet working. The RTL8201CL
> is said to have no driver...

Maybe this is the "encoded" character driver David mentioned.

> What I think is missing in DT is:
> * LCD and backlight

I'm looking at that now. The LCD driver may only need minimal changes because
the SoCs are so similar. I will introduce some extra logic for testing for the
JZ4730 and eliminating some apparently unsupported functions (BPP > 16),
however.

> * detecting AC and Battery charging
> * i2c and i2s drivers on SoC side
> * some pinmux
> * power control for WiFi on/off
>
> But I would say we have an untested and undebugged pile of ideas which
> already cover 70% of the device...

Yes.

[...]

> finding what has changed is even simpler:
>
> git diff --names-only <from> <to>

Well, my excuse is that I don't navigate git manual pages very easily.
Probably because I'm usually thinking how much easier Mercurial is, I guess.
:-)

[...]

> Well, in this case it might be simple. My goal is to try to keep history as
> good as possible... This involves mixing git diff and blame and forming a
> series of new commits by git commit -C. It roughly works, but seems to
> loose some deletions and file renames. So if I merge things back it still
> differs.

Especially things like renames, additions and removals are tricky to track
when capturing and presenting patches.

[...]

> Well, I have a different setup with a multi-architecture-cross-gcc-4.9.
> The ARM side works fine for years... Only the mips side comes up with such
> hickups. But more time will make it working :)

OK, I won't advise in this regard. Personally, though, I'm very happy with the
Debian cross-toolchains: they've been good for a couple of years, perhaps, and
I've deployed their code on the Ben NanoNote and PIC32MX without any problems.