[Gta04-owner] Second Debian Status Update

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Tue Sep 19 15:58:53 CEST 2017

Hi Nikolaus!

> Anyways it could be better to bring Andreas Kemnades SimpleGSMGUI into Debian
> than FSO back.

Those are apples and oranges, I think.  SimpleGSMGUI is - I presume! - a
GUI, whereas FSO, oFono etc. are middleware.

>> (c) being obsoleted by oFono.
> Oops. Hm.
>
> The next question is why this happens? And how this can happen without asking the users (us)?

It only means that the Debian project is no longer packaging the code
and taking some responsibility for those packages.  I'm sure the FSO is
still available, if someone in this community wants to pick it up.

> Why is oFono still maintained and has wider interest?

Because it does one focussed thing - providing a nice DBus interface
around the modem - very well.  Whereas FSO - IMO - does way too much.
When FSO began, there were many aspects of mobile device operation for
which no software yet existed, and FSO took all of those on: audio
settings, network interface prioritization, device management etc. as
well as telephony.  But now there are other Linux projects that handle
some of those areas.

https://01.org/ofono, and lots of devices I believe.

> Maybe by N900 and Sebastian...
>
> Does it support GTA04 at all?

Yes; I was playing with it a few years ago.  For example,
http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2012-February/001684.html

>>   There are a few packages remaining - I believe those that are still useful independently of FSO as a whole.
> BR and thanks for notification,
> Nikolaus

Best wishes - Neil