[Gta04-owner] Second Debian Status Update

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Sep 19 13:30:16 CEST 2017

Hi Neil,

> Am 19.09.2017 um 12:53 schrieb Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>:
>
> Nice to hear this news.  One contribution below...
>

> On 18/09/17 21:25, Josua Mayer wrote:
>> Going through the FSO packages and checking why they do(don't) currently
>> work on Debian, and are not even properly in testing?
>
> Mostly, they were recently removed from the archive by Sebastian Reichel, citing (a) rotting,

Meaning: unmaintained...

> (b) lack of wider interest/time,

That is because there is no nice application using it.

There were a lot of discussions and requests to build a simple and immediately
useful "Featurephone" client based on FSO, but that never happened.

Anyways it could be better to bring Andreas Kemnades SimpleGSMGUI into Debian
than FSO back.

> (c) being obsoleted by oFono.

Oops. Hm.

The next question is why this happens? And how this can happen without asking the users (us)?

Why is oFono still maintained and has wider interest? By whom and on which devices?

Maybe by N900 and Sebastian...

Does it support GTA04 at all?

>  There are a few packages remaining - I believe those that are still useful independently of FSO as a whole.

BR and thanks for notification,