[Gta04-owner] GNOME on Smartphone

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Oct 27 08:19:18 CEST 2017

Hi,

> Am 26.10.2017 um 16:38 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
>
> Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-10-26 15:26:40)
>>
>>> Am 26.10.2017 um 15:12 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
>>>
>>> Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-10-26 14:38:09)

>>> Yes, that is the easy part.
>>>
>>> Challenging parts are these:
>>>
>>> a) get GPU drivers for hardware-backed OpenGL working for the
>>> particular device (since GNOME depend on OpenGL and software-only
>>> emulation is likely too power hungry even if fast enough).
>>
>> Does it?
>
> Yes: https://wiki.gnome.org/GraphicsRequirements
>

>> At least the apt-get install on Debian 9.1 didn't ask for such
>> dependencies.
>
> If by "such dependencies" you (like me) mean package libegl1 then I am
> curious how you managed to install gnome-core without that.

Well, I just did an apt-get install without knowing what it will install.
And it appears that it was neither installed nor tagged as missing.
Maybe it is optional despite the requirements list?

>> A more fundamental question is why everyone wants to require OpenGL.
>
> Your question is flawed: Not everyone wants that.

It is not flawed, it is rhetorically exaggerated :)

> I believe rephrasing to "why those embrasing shiny UIs use abstraction
> layers like OpenGL or Vulcan" hints at the answer ;-)
>

>>> Might make sense to faster reach a usable state by doing b) without
>>> waiting for GTK+4.  But that has a real risk of repeating QtMoko
>>> which didn't want to wait for Qt to properly cover phones.
>>
>> Seems to be a big hen&egg situation.
>
> Imposing unreasonable constraints lead to odd scenarios, yes ;-)
>
> You introduces a constraint of beating the Librem5 deadline.

No, not at all, i don't want to beat anyone. I am just curious to
better understand the implications of running Gnome on a smartphone.
And with a GTA04 I can already do such experiments.

> Remove that
> deadline and it makes sense for Qt and GTK+ to evolve in their own pace:
> Both projects already actively develop towards support for phones.

That is indeed a good move.