[Gta04-owner] GNOME on Smartphone

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Thu Oct 26 16:38:43 CEST 2017

Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-10-26 15:26:40)

Yes: https://wiki.gnome.org/GraphicsRequirements

> At least the apt-get install on Debian 9.1 didn't ask for such
> dependencies.

If by "such dependencies" you (like me) mean package libegl1 then I am
curious how you managed to install gnome-core without that.

> A more fundamental question is why everyone wants to require OpenGL.

Your question is flawed: Not everyone wants that.

I believe rephrasing to "why those embrasing shiny UIs use abstraction
layers like OpenGL or Vulcan" hints at the answer ;-)

>> Might make sense to faster reach a usable state by doing b) without
>> waiting for GTK+4.  But that has a real risk of repeating QtMoko
>> which didn't want to wait for Qt to properly cover phones.
>
> Seems to be a big hen&egg situation.

Imposing unreasonable constraints lead to odd scenarios, yes ;-)

You introduces a constraint of beating the Librem5 deadline. Remove that
deadline and it makes sense for Qt and GTK+ to evolve in their own pace:
Both projects already actively develop towards support for phones.

 - Jonas