[Gta04-owner] GNOME on Smartphone

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Fri Oct 27 12:56:49 CEST 2017

Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-10-27 08:19:18)
>> Am 26.10.2017 um 16:38 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
>>> Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-10-26 15:26:40)

>>> Does it?
>>
>> Yes: https://wiki.gnome.org/GraphicsRequirements
>>

>>> At least the apt-get install on Debian 9.1 didn't ask for such
>>> dependencies.
>>
>> If by "such dependencies" you (like me) mean package libegl1 then I
>> am curious how you managed to install gnome-core without that.
>
> Well, I just did an apt-get install without knowing what it will
> install. And it appears that it was neither installed nor tagged as
> missing. Maybe it is optional despite the requirements list?

Ah, libegl1 is a virtual package in stretch: You instead have
libglapi-mesa installed.

>>> A more fundamental question is why everyone wants to require OpenGL.
>>
>> Your question is flawed: Not everyone wants that.
>
> It is not flawed, it is rhetorically exaggerated :)
>

>> I believe rephrasing to "why those embrasing shiny UIs use
>> abstraction layers like OpenGL or Vulcan" hints at the answer ;-)

>>> Seems to be a big hen&egg situation.
>>
>> Imposing unreasonable constraints lead to odd scenarios, yes ;-)
>>
>> You introduces a constraint of beating the Librem5 deadline.
>
> No, not at all, i don't want to beat anyone.

Sorry, I stand corrected!

<nitpicking>
A deadline is a thing, so I guess you meant any_thing_ :-P
</nitpicking>

> I am just curious to better understand the implications of running
> Gnome on a smartphone. And with a GTA04 I can already do such
> experiments.

You can indeed experiment.

If you want to experiment with running GNOME without OpenGL, then try
remove (or temporarily rename) /usr/lib/*/libGL.so*.

 - Jonas

-