[Gta04-owner] Debian Status

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 16:51:02 CET 2017

Am 18.02.2017 um 16:12 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller:
> Hi Josua,
>
>> Am 18.02.2017 um 15:19 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I wanted to give you a short report on where we are regarding standard
>> unpatched Debian Stretch:
>> - it boots all the way to login prompt (first seen with linux-4.8)
> Nice!
>
>> - wifi works sort of (since 4.9.0-1-armmp)
>>  Meaning that at boot-time systemd fails to bring up networking because
>> libertas_sdio comes up late.
>>  Is there anything we can do about it?
> Good question. I have experimented a little with debootstrapping debian 9
> and there are more general differences to debian 8 with network setup so
> that I did not yet come to testing wifi.
I have found that a debootstrapped stretch system is missing both
systemd-sysv and ifupdown. Furthermore I made sure that wpasupplicant
and firmware-libertas was installed.

>> - system does not charge the battery!!!
>>  Both /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_{ac,usb}/status report "Not charging"
>>  Probably needs udev rule. Why again do we need a rule for this?
> We don't need it and the current one is broken. We only need it if we want
> to automatically switch to 900 mA charging current when inserting the
> Openmoko wall charger. But charging with 500 mA should work without rule.
I understand. Somehow I always keep messing that up in my head.

> What is broken: the sysfs node for setting the max current has changed...
> I have noted a fix for the next kernel release but not tested.
>
> Are you using our kernel or the Debian kernel? Charging needs some
> patches that are not yet upstream.
I am using the debian kernel as is. Goal being some basis to perform any
kind of net- or offline install.
That means we need storage, charging, display, touch and networking just
to perform the installation.

>>  The log has the output of lsmod, perhaps someone can spot a missing piece?
>> - debian-installer made little progress, just some information has been
>> collected:
>>  the debian wiki for building installer images work fine, and there are
>> 2 targets worth investigating:
>>  hd_media, netinst-gtk
>>  The resulting images are self-contained and *only* carry kernel, dtb
>> and installer-in-a-ramdisk. No appended iso or package tree.
>>  By using qemu I have found that this installer looks for an actual
>> .iso file within any available filesystem on any disk.
>>  Writing the iso directly to a partition does not work, for some reason
>> a filesystem is required to hold the .iso file.
>>  Creating such iso is a very hard task! The suggested tool debian-cd is
>> overkill and under-documented.
>>  Instead it might be smarter to use tools such as live-image or boxer
>> to create an iso with a set of preselected .debs.
Adding:
- display stays black. Any ideas?