[Gta04-owner] Debian Status

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Feb 18 16:59:22 CET 2017

> Am 18.02.2017 um 16:51 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com>:
>

> Am 18.02.2017 um 16:12 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller:
>> Hi Josua,
>>
>>> Am 18.02.2017 um 15:19 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I wanted to give you a short report on where we are regarding standard
>>> unpatched Debian Stretch:
>>> - it boots all the way to login prompt (first seen with linux-4.8)
>> Nice!
>>
>>> - wifi works sort of (since 4.9.0-1-armmp)
>>> Meaning that at boot-time systemd fails to bring up networking because
>>> libertas_sdio comes up late.
>>> Is there anything we can do about it?
>> Good question. I have experimented a little with debootstrapping debian 9
>> and there are more general differences to debian 8 with network setup so
>> that I did not yet come to testing wifi.
> I have found that a debootstrapped stretch system is missing both
> systemd-sysv and ifupdown.

Yes. It is missing the package net-tools.
I wasn't aware that systemd-sysv is also missing. But it may be the reason
of some issues in my minimal system.

> Furthermore I made sure that wpasupplicant
> and firmware-libertas was installed.
>>
>>> - system does not charge the battery!!!
>>> Both /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_{ac,usb}/status report "Not charging"
>>> Probably needs udev rule. Why again do we need a rule for this?
>> We don't need it and the current one is broken. We only need it if we want
>> to automatically switch to 900 mA charging current when inserting the
>> Openmoko wall charger. But charging with 500 mA should work without rule.
> I understand. Somehow I always keep messing that up in my head.
>>
>> What is broken: the sysfs node for setting the max current has changed...
>> I have noted a fix for the next kernel release but not tested.
>>
>> Are you using our kernel or the Debian kernel? Charging needs some
>> patches that are not yet upstream.
> I am using the debian kernel as is. Goal being some basis to perform any
> kind of net- or offline install.
> That means we need storage, charging, display, touch and networking just
> to perform the installation.

Ok, then Charging is still broken. Once I have finished upstreaming the
tsc2007 patches so that we get a precalibrated touch I should submit the
twl4030-charger patches.

>>> The log has the output of lsmod, perhaps someone can spot a missing piece?
>>> - debian-installer made little progress, just some information has been
>>> collected:
>>> the debian wiki for building installer images work fine, and there are
>>> 2 targets worth investigating:
>>> hd_media, netinst-gtk
>>> The resulting images are self-contained and *only* carry kernel, dtb
>>> and installer-in-a-ramdisk. No appended iso or package tree.
>>> By using qemu I have found that this installer looks for an actual
>>> .iso file within any available filesystem on any disk.
>>> Writing the iso directly to a partition does not work, for some reason
>>> a filesystem is required to hold the .iso file.
>>> Creating such iso is a very hard task! The suggested tool debian-cd is
>>> overkill and under-documented.
>>> Instead it might be smarter to use tools such as live-image or boxer
>>> to create an iso with a set of preselected .debs.
> Adding:
> - display stays black. Any ideas?

Hm. This can be a lot of things. Maybe X11 config.
Do you see a /sys/class/backlight entry?