[Gta04-owner] Debian Status

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Feb 18 16:12:16 CET 2017

Hi Josua,

> Am 18.02.2017 um 15:19 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com>:
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> I wanted to give you a short report on where we are regarding standard
> unpatched Debian Stretch:
> - it boots all the way to login prompt (first seen with linux-4.8)

Nice!

> - wifi works sort of (since 4.9.0-1-armmp)
>  Meaning that at boot-time systemd fails to bring up networking because
> libertas_sdio comes up late.
>  Is there anything we can do about it?

Good question. I have experimented a little with debootstrapping debian 9
and there are more general differences to debian 8 with network setup so
that I did not yet come to testing wifi.

> - system does not charge the battery!!!
>  Both /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_{ac,usb}/status report "Not charging"
>  Probably needs udev rule. Why again do we need a rule for this?

We don't need it and the current one is broken. We only need it if we want
to automatically switch to 900 mA charging current when inserting the
Openmoko wall charger. But charging with 500 mA should work without rule.

What is broken: the sysfs node for setting the max current has changed...
I have noted a fix for the next kernel release but not tested.

Are you using our kernel or the Debian kernel? Charging needs some
patches that are not yet upstream.

>  The log has the output of lsmod, perhaps someone can spot a missing piece?
> - debian-installer made little progress, just some information has been
> collected:
>  the debian wiki for building installer images work fine, and there are
> 2 targets worth investigating:
>  hd_media, netinst-gtk
>  The resulting images are self-contained and *only* carry kernel, dtb
> and installer-in-a-ramdisk. No appended iso or package tree.
>  By using qemu I have found that this installer looks for an actual
> .iso file within any available filesystem on any disk.
>  Writing the iso directly to a partition does not work, for some reason
> a filesystem is required to hold the .iso file.
>  Creating such iso is a very hard task! The suggested tool debian-cd is
> overkill and under-documented.
>  Instead it might be smarter to use tools such as live-image or boxer
> to create an iso with a set of preselected .debs.

BR and thanks for the good work,