[Gta04-owner] Debian Status

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 16:58:08 CET 2017

Am 18.02.2017 um 15:45 schrieb Andreas Kemnade:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 15:19:25 +0100
> Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I wanted to give you a short report on where we are regarding standard
>> unpatched Debian Stretch:
>> - it boots all the way to login prompt (first seen with linux-4.8)
>> - wifi works sort of (since 4.9.0-1-armmp)
>>   Meaning that at boot-time systemd fails to bring up networking
>> because libertas_sdio comes up late.
>>   Is there anything we can do about it?
>> - system does not charge the battery!!!
>>   Both /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_{ac,usb}/status report "Not
>> charging" Probably needs udev rule. Why again do we need a rule for
>> this? The log has the output of lsmod, perhaps someone can spot a
>> missing piece?
> Hmm, no g_* like g_ether, I am not totally sure if that is needed in
> mainline. But that might influence charging. And having usb-networking
> would be certainly nice.
I haven't tried attaching to a PC yet. So far serial console is my only
connection, while using the wallcharger.
In Nikolaus's systems these modules are explicitly loaded from
/etc/network/interfaces, right?
If so unless something triggers auto-loading, they won't show up before
needed.

>> - debian-installer made little progress, just some information has
>> been collected:
>>   the debian wiki for building installer images work fine, and there
>> are 2 targets worth investigating:
>>   hd_media, netinst-gtk
>>   The resulting images are self-contained and *only* carry kernel, dtb
>> and installer-in-a-ramdisk. No appended iso or package tree.
>>   By using qemu I have found that this installer looks for an actual
>> .iso file within any available filesystem on any disk.
>>   Writing the iso directly to a partition does not work, for some
>> reason a filesystem is required to hold the .iso file.
>>   Creating such iso is a very hard task! The suggested tool debian-cd
>> is overkill and under-documented.
>>   Instead it might be smarter to use tools such as live-image or boxer
>> to create an iso with a set of preselected .debs.
>>
> What I am still wondering about is some approach booting the GTA04 via
> pusb / dfu-utils into the debian-installer and then load the packages
> via an apt-cacher on the device the gta04 is attached to or something
> like that. But I do not understand yet exactly what kind of MLO pusb
> likes. I had one once. But that one was probably deleted by a git clean
> -xfd or something like that.
Would be nice to have.
How would one get usb networking to work then?
Pre-configure as part of cmdline?
As soon as networking is up, anything can be used for a netinstall, full
mirror or apt-cacher-ng.