[Gta04-owner] QtMoko snapshot

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Dec 31 12:31:41 CET 2017

> Am 31.12.2017 um 12:20 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 21:53:29 +0100
> tgrauss <tgrauss at f-gp.eu> wrote:
>
>> Yes, it is a gta04a5.
>>
>> But I still don't know what I did wrong.
>
> then there is something not well documented. If you have to be afraid
> to tinker around with your phone because you fear you cannot fix it
> again, then there is something wrong here.
>
>> I flashed the right updated boot loader as suggested a few days ago
>> without problem.
>>
>> Maybe I messed up with makesd when trying to install debian on the sd
>> card. But why did it reflash u-boot on the phone immediately after
>> inserting the battery. I didn't press the aux and power button?
>>
> Probably you added the -b flag to makesd without thinking about it.
> And then you said gta04 instead of gta04one.
> The bootloader will update whenever there is a changed bootscript
> version (triggered by the boot.scr) and there is a bootloader available
> in MLO.flash or u-boot.img.flash
>
> Maybe makesd should add an additional warning (possibily to be
> confirmed) if you are putting a bootloader on a sd.
>
> Also if we are going down the dfu road of installing/updating
> bootloaders, those mistakes would probably be avoided for a big part.
> Reason: If we boot spl/uboot via usb and it is the wrong one it will
> in most circumstances not be able to flash nand.
> Additionally, we can do some matching on usb product ids or device
> names.

A general problem is that the dfu approach can be made working only
for only a small group of devices that are currently supported by
Letux OS (for a current list see: <http://projects.goldelico.com/p/letux/>).

makesd works for all of them in the same way and even if the device
itself is bricked.

This is why I do not have a focus on USB or think about making it
a replacement.

Nevertheless it is a great achievement to have DFU on some devices
providing even more choice and options.