[Gta04-owner] QtMoko snapshot

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Sun Dec 31 15:46:12 CET 2017

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 12:31:41 +0100

> > Also if we are going down the dfu road of installing/updating
> > bootloaders, those mistakes would probably be avoided for a big part.
> > Reason: If we boot spl/uboot via usb and it is the wrong one it will
> > in most circumstances not be able to flash nand.
> > Additionally, we can do some matching on usb product ids or device
> > names.
>
> A general problem is that the dfu approach can be made working only
> for only a small group of devices that are currently supported by
> Letux OS (for a current list see: <http://projects.goldelico.com/p/letux/>).

Why? Don't they all have musb inside? What are the obstacles?

> makesd works for all of them in the same way and even if the device
> itself is bricked.

Well usb does work in that situation also for unbricking devices.
It does not need a working MLO/SPL/uboot whatever on that device.

I do not think makesd should be fully replaced. Now I am thinking about
whether the task should be clearly splitted in

a) unbricking/install/replace bootloader
b) installing operating systems

so that you do not accidently touch the bootloader as Thierry did.

For
a) I think the dfu method is a nice choice, does not need a separate sd
   card, but maybe putting all rescue paths here into a separate
   letux-rescue program (like usb, serial, uboot flash sd cards)

b) here clearly does makesd a good job, it makes no sense to fully
   replace it.
   It could be even better if we set device into mass storage gadget
   mode. So it can access the sd card in the device directly.
   A way to achieve that would be dfu mode.

   DFU could open other, additional paths here (like booting
   the e.g. the debian installer)

Regards,
Andreas