[Gta04-owner] Which distri

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Tue Sep 29 11:24:28 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 29 of September 2015 10:56:34 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> But why doesn't it simply provide a binary qt4-fb-dev.deb package based
on
> the build scripts for the qt4-dev package? So that I can completely avoid
> to compile it from scratch?

Can be done.

> The key problem is that compiling each time from scratch and otside the
> standard Debian way (although it is used internally) makes the
> compile-test-fix cycle so time consuming that you loose interest. That is
> my main issue with current status of QtMoko. Building Replicant or
> QuantumSTEP is much faster (all of them have the same goal of
providing
> GUIs).

If you want fast compiling why not cross compile? I have personally worked
on both - android and QtMoko. In the end i found the development on
QtMoko much faster (recompile and scp just one lib/exe).

> So my main suggestions:
> * break up the source into smaller pieces that can be built individually
by
> standard debian build tools. * provide and maintain stand-alone debian
> build scripts
> * provide prebuilt binary packages for i386, armhf for all components
(not
> only the apps) that can be easily installed on any Debian machine by
adding
> to the sources.list and apt-get install * add a meta-package "qtmoko" so
> that apt-get install qtmoko pulls in all binary components * try to get it
> into official Debian
>
> Then it is easier to fix/adjust things by focussing on the single package
> where a problem is - instead of building everything from scratch.

I don't have any motivation. I spent so much time getting everything
working. Now i have quite nice userspace, but there is simply no device
which is usable for it.

GTA02: slow
GTA04: power problems

besides both of them have display unreadable on sun -> no way to use for
GPS navigation.

In mean time i have bought Jolla which has the linux command line and
tools, has good power management and i am pretty happy with it.

BR

Radek