[Gta04-owner] Which distri

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Sep 29 10:56:34 CEST 2015

Hi Radek,

Am 29.09.2015 um 10:34 schrieb Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz>:

> On Tuesday 29 of September 2015 10:14:22 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
> > -L/root/build-gta04/sdk/lib
> > /root/build-gta04/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/.obj/qaudioinput_pulse.o: In
> > function `QAudioInputPrivate::open(QObject*)':
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudioinput_pulse.cpp:79: undefined
> > reference to `pa_bytes_per_second'
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudioinput_pulse.cpp:88: undefined
> > reference to `pa_simple_new'
> > /root/build-gta04/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/.obj/qaudioinput_pulse.o: In
> > function `QAudioInputPrivate::read(char*, long long)':
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudioinput_pulse.cpp:116: undefined
> > reference to `pa_simple_read'
> > /root/build-gta04/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/.obj/qaudiooutput_pulse.o: In
> > function `QAudioOutputPrivate::close()':
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:86: undefined
> > reference to `pa_simple_flush'
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:87: undefined
> > reference to `pa_simple_free'
> > /root/build-gta04/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/.obj/qaudiooutput_pulse.o: In
> > function `QAudioOutputPrivate::open()':
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:63: undefined
> > reference to `pa_bytes_per_second'
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:72: undefined
> > reference to `pa_simple_new'
> > /root/build-gta04/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/.obj/qaudiooutput_pulse.o: In
> > function `QAudioOutputPrivate::close()':
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:86: undefined
> > reference to `pa_simple_flush'
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:87: undefined
> > reference to `pa_simple_free'
> > /root/build-gta04/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/.obj/qaudiooutput_pulse.o: In
> > function `QAudioOutputPrivate::write(char const*, long long)':
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:106:
> > undefined reference to `pa_simple_write'
> > /root/build-gta04/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/.obj/qaudiooutput_pulse.o: In
> > function `QAudioOutputPrivate::close()':
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:86: undefined
> > reference to `pa_simple_flush'
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:87: undefined
> > reference to `pa_simple_free'
> > /root/build-gta04/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/.obj/qaudiooutput_pulse.o: In
> > function `QAudioOutputPrivate::open()':
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:63: undefined
> > reference to `pa_bytes_per_second'
> > /root/qtmoko/src/libraries/qtopiaaudio/qaudiooutput_pulse.cpp:72: undefined
> > reference to `pa_simple_new' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Looks like problem with pulseaudio - do you have pulseaudio devel packages installed?

I think so. Because I followed all your documentation of required dependencies.
But with 3 days compilation time and many MBytes of log files it is difficult to remember/find out.

> > Some questions arise:
> > * isn't QtMoko using this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_Extended ?
>
> Yes, but you cant use "Qt Extended" because it's trademark. That's why it was renamed to QtMoko.

Ok.

> > * sources used are on qtmoko github - i.e. it is a fork, isn't it?
>
> It's QT 4.8 with few bugs fixed. I don't know what you call fork, but this is perfectly maintainable.

fork := ! exact copy
maintainable != maintained

>  Some fixes were upstreamed some not.
>
> > * where is the information about vanilla Qt4 support?
>
> I just told you.

> > * who does the support?
> > * where are the sources?
>
> You can use google to find Qt4 git and info about support.
>
> > * how to build QtMoko with vanilla Qt 4?
> > * would it suffice to apt-get install /qt4-dev-tools and compile QtMoko?
>
> I think you are mismatching things up here.

Yes, because of my ignorance (and obviously unfulfilled expectations :)

> The qt4-dev in debian is compiled for X11 - QtMoko does not use X11 and thus has to rebuild Qt4 so that it uses framebuffer and does not use X11.

Ah, I understand.

>  There are ifdefs in Qt sources for that and that's why the complete rebuild is needed.

But why doesn't it simply provide a binary qt4-fb-dev.deb package based on the build scripts for the qt4-dev package? So that I can completely avoid to compile it from scratch?

The key problem is that compiling each time from scratch and otside the standard Debian way (although it is used internally) makes the compile-test-fix cycle so time consuming that you loose interest.
That is my main issue with current status of QtMoko. Building Replicant or QuantumSTEP is much faster (all of them have the same goal of providing GUIs).

So my main suggestions:
* break up the source into smaller pieces that can be built individually by standard debian build tools.
* provide and maintain stand-alone debian build scripts
* provide prebuilt binary packages for i386, armhf for all components (not only the apps) that can be easily installed on any Debian machine by adding to the sources.list and apt-get install
* add a meta-package "qtmoko" so that apt-get install qtmoko pulls in all binary components
* try to get it into official Debian

Then it is easier to fix/adjust things by focussing on the single package where a problem is - instead of building everything from scratch.