[Gta04-owner] Which distri

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Sep 21 20:50:20 CEST 2015

Hi,

Am 21.09.2015 um 20:29 schrieb Christ van Willegen <cvwillegen at gmail.com>:

> Hi Gerhard,
>
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:02 PM, Gerhard Rieger
> <freerunner at dest-unreach.org> wrote:
>> I have not used my OpenMoko gta04 for a long time. Now I want to
>> reactivate it, mainly for purposes of navigation and script based
>> tracking (GPS, air pressure, ...) during hiking.
>>
>> Which distribution do you recommend, QtMoko, Replicant, …?

there isn’t much choice beyond that. With the recent 4.2 kernel
we now again can run X1 based Debian with whatever packages
you install and configure for it… LXDE, XFCE, even Gnome, KDE
is possible, but maybe difficult to operate. There isn’t much
special config for mobile and touchscreen operation :) Of course
you should have a bigger µSD card.

> Well, that's quite a choice...
>
> Since I don't know if Replicant supports the air pressure sensor, I'm
> not sure if that distro can do what you want.
>
> On the other hand, QtMoko development has stopped, so any problems
> found in there won’t get fixed!

We would be happy to support development of QtMoko as well and
even have a project template: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-qtmoko/
but I tried to compile it from source but failed. So if someone is looking
for a nice volunteer project…

What we need is fixing the sources/trees/instructions/whatever to make
it compile again. Either in a qemu image (e.g. http://download.goldelico.com/gta04-debian-lxde/qemu-wheezy-vexpress/ )
or by separating into self-contained source packages that can be compiled
on a GTA04 with Debian installed.

IMHO the main problem is that it does not use standard Qt which can be
installed from Debian repositories, but needs to (cross)-compile some older
fork first. If someone could provide pre-built dev-packages of that it would
also simplify development significantly…