[Gta04-owner] Upgrade to GTA04

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jan 6 08:55:15 CET 2015

Hi Karsten,

Am 06.01.2015 um 03:53 schrieb Karsten Düsterloh <kd-gta04 at duesterloh.eu>:

> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> And yes, the instructions appear to be outdated. Mainly, there is no
>> ts_calibrate any more. But the ./useful should still work.
>> [Volunteers to edit and update these pages are welcome!].

We have now found someone to update it - but he has not started.

> These instructions are not just outdated, they are utterly destructive. :-/
> Using the makesd script from /latest against the /latest directory, you
> do get a kind of working system; running from my 1 GB SD it wasn't even
> upgradable due to lack of space, but that’s not the actual problem:

Yes, it uses the size of the card that is built.

> Running ./flash-nand will clear the nand but bark upon the new system
> not fitting into the memory! Consequently, the multiboot nand menu is
> gone then …
>
> ---- snip ------------
> root at gta04:~# ./flash-nand
> flashing Kernel
> flash_eraseall has been replaced by `flash_erase <mtddev> 0 0`; please
> use it
> Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 3e0000 -- 100 % complete
> Image 4239744 bytes, NAND page 2048 bytes, OOB area 64 bytes, device
> size 4194304 bytes
> nandwrite: error!: Input file does not fit into device
>           error 0 (Success)
> nandwrite: error!: Data was only partially written due to error
>           error 0 (Success)
> ---- snip ------------
>
> There should at least be a warning on that page — and the script should
> at least check the size before erasing the nand.

The problem is that we have not found an algorithm to check it upfront.
If someone has an idea how to do it, the script can check that.

Anyways: there is a problem with kernels >3.8 for flashing to NAND. They do
not properly boot and are not ready for NAND flash.

Maybe this is the biggest warning message that is missing. Or the flash-nand
script should check the kernel version.

>> The recommended way to reinstall the boot system is to unpack the
>> right .dd image onto a fresh SD card:
>>
>> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/production/
>
> I did not find any information which of these files would be the "right"
> one for my gta04 board (or how to determine the board revision by
> software anyway).

These production images are device dependent. I.e. gta04, gtra04b2, gta04b3
are for different devices.

> The file 20140728-gta04b3.dd being 1056964608 bytes in size, it should
> fit onto a 1 GB SD card?

Yes. 1GB = 1073741824 i.e. there is a small margin.

> Could you elaborate a bit on "unpack the right .dd image onto a fresh SD
> card” for someone who never did that before? :-)

Hm. I looked for the README file in that directory but it appears that the
server is not showing it… Must be a bug in the FancyIndex config.

I have attached a copy.