[Gta04-owner] Updates for gta04 DTS file.

Christ van Willegen cvwillegen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 08:51:11 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 05.01.2015 um 23:02 schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller:
>>> Is such a competition approach efficient? Is this producing good solutions? I don’t know myself
>>> and would be interested in opinions of other gta04-owners how they would like to see the gta04
>>> kernel development been done: competitive or cooperatively?

> I'd like to express my view on the question Nikolaus just asked here:

Me, too.

> To me it doesn't really matter how exactly improvements get upstream, I
> will be happy every time they do, no matter what.

/me nods. Any improvement is an improvement from the users' point of view.

> But in the meantime, I do appreciate to have a common place to go for a
> WiP kernel that ideally has all the improvements that have already been
> developed, including those that were sent to mainline by <whomever> and
> are not upstream yet.

On this I fully agree. It would be best to have a single place to get
this kernel. This way, you'd have most functionality in one place.
Imagine what would happen if Nikolaus' kernel included bits that
talked to the display, and Neil's had bit that talked to the modem.

One kernel would create a nice screen, but I couldn't make calls, the
other one could make calls, but not let me type the number on the
screen. Not workable from an end user's point of view.

> So basically what I'd look for is the one place where improvements
> concerning the GTA04 can be found, and will be upstreamed. That
> minimizes the amount of searching and merging a regular user has to do
> if he finds a problem, but also minimizes the delay between development
> of a fix and the ability to simply start using it.

I second that.

> At the same time I can see that people want to send patches to Linux
> directly. I believe its a fulfilling achievement to get code in asap,
> and yourself.

Not only fulfilling achievement, but also a way to reduce hassle.
_Any_ diff between Linus' tree and the GTA04 tree (wherever it may
be...) is a hassle, because you need to make sure that your patches
still work after pulling in changes.

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0