[Gta04-owner] Updates for gta04 DTS file.

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Tue Jan 6 19:17:29 CET 2015

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 08:51:11 +0100 Christ van Willegen <cvwillegen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I'd like to express my view on the question Nikolaus just asked here:
>
> Me, too.
>
> > To me it doesn't really matter how exactly improvements get upstream, I
> > will be happy every time they do, no matter what.
>
> /me nods. Any improvement is an improvement from the users' point of view.
>
> > But in the meantime, I do appreciate to have a common place to go for a
> > WiP kernel that ideally has all the improvements that have already been
> > developed, including those that were sent to mainline by <whomever> and
> > are not upstream yet.
>
> On this I fully agree. It would be best to have a single place to get
> this kernel. This way, you'd have most functionality in one place.
> Imagine what would happen if Nikolaus' kernel included bits that
> talked to the display, and Neil's had bit that talked to the modem.
>
> One kernel would create a nice screen, but I couldn't make calls, the
> other one could make calls, but not let me type the number on the
> screen. Not workable from an end user's point of view.

Is this desire for a single kernel just an abstract "it would be nice", or is
it a concrete practical "I tried to do something and the lack of unity made
it harder so I didn't bother"?

Because if you genuinely actively want to do something and find that the
situation with kernels makes that difficult, then I would like to help -
please be specific and I'll see what I can do.
But if this is an "abstract, would be nice", then I'll agree that it would be
nice, but keep doing what I'm doing :-)

Part of my thinking behind this is that fact that the current kernel in any
of its different forms is, from my perspective, effectively unusable.  So it
doesn't really matter if there is one unusable kernel or several.

The main issue is power usage.  This has never been brilliant but since the
switch to devicetree it has been much worse - a few hours standby time.
If/when I get that figured out I would be much more interested in providing a
kernel that provides all known features.

A secondary issue that has just arisen is that wifi appears to be completely
broken in 3.19-rc.  I assume it was the removal of wireless-extensions (long
deprecated) but for some reason the libertas wifi driver doesn't associate
properly any more.  I haven't had time to look at it properly yet.

If you are a user: I recommend  either the 3.7 kernel (which I still use) or
the 3.12 kernel (which I haven't used, but I hear others have success with).
If you are a developer: I recommend starting with mainline and either working
on that, or looking and what others (myself and Nikalaus) have done to learn
from that and move on.

Thanks,
NeilBrown