[Gta04-owner] Goldelico Replicant 4.2 Update (suspend + accel)

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Tue May 20 17:46:46 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-20 14:24, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 20.05.2014 um 15:12 schrieb Neil Jerram:
>
>> On 2014-05-20 13:52, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have worked in the kernel part of your patch into the tree:
>>> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/hns/3.15-rc3-lis302
>>> And I have added a device tree file for the GTA04A3 boards, but not
>>> tested anything (except that it compiles).
>>> In the mean time I have found out that the GTA04A3 have mixed
>>> installation
>>> of LIS302 and BMA180, i.e. some boards have both and some have either
>>> one.
>>> So maybe with the next 3.15 kernel we have standard support for
>>> LIS302
>>> on the GTA04A3 boards as well.
>>
>> Thank you for continuing to think about good old GTA04A3 boards!
>>
>> (Seriously.  I guess the number of GTA04A3s is a lot less than
>> GTA04A4s, and also that it would be more interesting for you to look
>> forward to new developments than to continue supporting older ones -
>> so I really appreciate it.)
>
> Well, the differences between A3 and A4 are so small so that it would
> be stupid not to do it... Even if they make just 10%.
>
> And I personally hate if some hardware has to be thrown away because
> an upgrade wasn't possible for this specific combination of something
> (I had to retire a well working notebook recently just because the
> driver for the graphics card wasn't updated any more).

+1000

As a Nokia 770 and N800 owner I well remember all the pathetic arguments
from Nokia folk about why they wouldn't open-source certain key
components, and now those perfectly good pieces of hardware are
continuing to suffer, years after Nokia gave up on the platform and
married Microsoft.

Even sadder, is to see the Jolla people repeating precisely the same
mistake again.  They really should know better, after the Maemo
experience.

Unfortunately it seems we are rare to think like this, and that most of
the world is quite happy to throw kit away and buy the latest shiny
thing.

         Neil