[Gta04-owner] Kickstarter?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Mar 2 20:24:04 CET 2014

Am 02.03.2014 um 18:03 schrieb mx4812 at arcor.de:

>> I have read the email from only 20 units (including mine). Which was
>> expected (as the G. A. and A. iP. are more popular devices).
>>
>> To speed things up I like to know what you think about kickstarter and
>> other crowd-funding plattforms? Currently, no [1] project could be
>> found. So why not create such a campaign there? There is also a category
>> "Technology" [2] where the GTA04 will perfectly match in.
>
> The question whether to buy a GTA replacement board may answer itself
> easily for most of the crowd (regardless if they own a GTA), by holding an
> openmoko phone in one hand, and a N900  in the other.
> -> http://neo900.org

Well, you are right that the neo900 is technically better at almost the same
dimensions.

But the GTA02->GTA04 was the first to get a motherboard upgrade in a modular
concept. It is similar to vintage cars. They are much worse in power and safety than
modern cars, but they are vintage cars.

> Something like a delicious dPhone replacement board is not even on the horizon,
> but any true new crowding project would certainly have to include a popular casing and display
> idea (around the GTA/Neo board, or fitting the board again) to be successfull again.

If someone wants to run a crowd funding campaign to finance the necessary
feasibility studies and get some first prototypes built, it would be a nice project to
work on a neoPhone 5s :)