[Gta04-owner] Replicant-4.2 for GTA04

Lukas Maerdian luk at slyon.de
Fri Feb 28 12:30:31 CET 2014

On 22.02.2014 14:41 UTC+0100, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> writes:

>>> I never tried this myself. But probably normal Linux ways won't work
>>> with Android. If this is possible, it should apply to any Android
>>> based device. Maybe you can find some hints on the web?
>>
>> If you reconfigure your linux kernel, select g_ether instead of android usb
>> gadget and launch ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200 somewhere in init.rc you will
>> have standard USB networking. Besides adb will still work - you can tell it to
>> work over tcp. If you need help on this you can see my old replicant image.
>>
>> I never understood why android uses it's own USB protocol instead of superior
>> and standard USB networking.
>
> Thanks, that does indeed sound better all round; a clear demonstrator of
> how Android on the GTA04 can be better than Android anywhere else.
> Lukas, what do you think about making this change in your kernel build?

Hmm, the problem with this is, that we'll loose the other special
functionality, like switching to ADB-usb-mass-storage mode via the click
of a button in the Android UI, making the GTA04 appear as a USB-pendrive.

> In the meantime, can I easily rebuild the GTA04 Replicant kernel myself
> from the 3.12-replicant4 branch of
> git://github.com/goldelico/gta04-kernel.git ?  To be clear, I mean
> without following the full kernel+userspace instructions at
> http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-replicant/page/Replicant-4/.
>
> It looks like the 3.12-replicant4 branch doesn't include any
> Replicant-specific config, so my guess is that this _won't_ work - but I
> might have missed something.

Yes you can. Just use the arch/arm/configs/gta04_defconfig from that
branch (3.12-replicant4), everything Android specific is in there.
You just need to make sure to put the modules into the correct place in
your rootfs: /system/lib/modules/*.ko (i.e. NO subfolders).

BR,
  Lukas