[Gta04-owner] Replicant-4.2 for GTA04

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sat Feb 22 14:41:37 CET 2014

Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> writes:

> On Saturday, February 22, 2014 01:24:51 AM Lukas Maerdian wrote:
>
>> > Is there a way to make the USB cable do networking, as in normal
>> > Linux-based distros?  ifconfig -a on my laptop doesn't show any USB
>> > interface, as it normally would.  Without this I can't test things like
>> > the browser.
>>
>> I never tried this myself. But probably normal Linux ways won't work
>> with Android. If this is possible, it should apply to any Android
>> based device. Maybe you can find some hints on the web?
>
> If you reconfigure your linux kernel, select g_ether instead of android usb
> gadget and launch ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200 somewhere in init.rc you will
> have standard USB networking. Besides adb will still work - you can tell it to
> work over tcp. If you need help on this you can see my old replicant image.
>
> I never understood why android uses it's own USB protocol instead of superior
> and standard USB networking.

Thanks, that does indeed sound better all round; a clear demonstrator of
how Android on the GTA04 can be better than Android anywhere else.
Lukas, what do you think about making this change in your kernel build?

In the meantime, can I easily rebuild the GTA04 Replicant kernel myself
from the 3.12-replicant4 branch of
git://github.com/goldelico/gta04-kernel.git ?  To be clear, I mean
without following the full kernel+userspace instructions at
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-replicant/page/Replicant-4/.

It looks like the 3.12-replicant4 branch doesn't include any
Replicant-specific config, so my guess is that this _won't_ work - but I
might have missed something.

Regards,
     Neil