[Gta04-owner] Replicant, webpage without project description?

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Thu Feb 27 19:49:17 CET 2014

> > Actually, I did find that page too (and it gave a valueable hint "free Android"),
> > but did not seem to link to http://replicant.us which was another search result
> > that I assume points to the main site (were I had hoped to find some
> > explanations, relations, and overviews).

I take note of this. Come to think of it, there is no directly available
clear information of what Replicant is about. Note that the Wikipedia
page on Replicant has all the relevant bits:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicant_%28operating_system%29

> Well, in fact there is the official FSF Replicant project http://replicant.us which had
> started to work for the GTA04 device but did give up because they were not happy
> with the kernel.

Note that Replicant is not a FSF project. We are clearly separate from
the FSF, but Replicant is endorsed by the directed donations program,
which enables us to receive donations. Replicant is not yet recognized
as a FSF-endorsed fully free system by the way.

I'm starting to work back on the GTA04 as I tested the latest 4.2 images
and apparently, suspend/resume is going fine for me. Now I realize I
have been totally wrong not wanting to go for mainline and trying to use
other 3.0 kernel for the GTA04.

There is still a lot of work to do so I'll start slowly by moving the
Replicant gta04 device to 4.2 and working from there.
Note that I am not going to base my 4.2 work off the goldelico trees
since I don't like some of the major changes that were done there. More
about that to come on separate threads.

> In the long run we hope that the official Replicant is taking and re-integrating our
> work since running a fork is not optimal for anybody.

That would be best. If we really want to have a single source for
Replicant on GTA04, we'll need to agree on a few technical points
beforehand.

Finally, I won't have access to the GTA04 during the week, so expect me
to be able to work on it only during the week-ends. While I wish I could
work on the GTA04 every week-end, I know this is not going to happen as
I have to manage the whole project and the 11 other supported devices as
well as starting the Allwinner port of Replicant (for a large variety of
devices).

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:        http://www.replicant.us/