[Gta04-owner] Replicant-4.2 for GTA04

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Sat Feb 22 09:54:04 CET 2014

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 01:24:51 AM Lukas Maerdian wrote:

> > Is there a way to make the USB cable do networking, as in normal
> > Linux-based distros?  ifconfig -a on my laptop doesn't show any USB
> > interface, as it normally would.  Without this I can't test things like
> > the browser.
>
> I never tried this myself. But probably normal Linux ways won't work
> with Android. If this is possible, it should apply to any Android
> based device. Maybe you can find some hints on the web?

If you reconfigure your linux kernel, select g_ether instead of android usb
gadget and launch ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200 somewhere in init.rc you will
have standard USB networking. Besides adb will still work - you can tell it to
work over tcp. If you need help on this you can see my old replicant image.

I never understood why android uses it's own USB protocol instead of superior
and standard USB networking.

BR

Radek