[Gta04-owner] Shapeways case and MMC connector

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 00:38:20 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Paul Kocialkowski <contact at paulk.fr> wrote:
> Le dimanche 13 avril 2014 à 08:44 -0400, Benjamin Deering a écrit :
>> When I repaired my usb port on the gta04 I added some epoxy to reinforce
>> my soldering.  I used a product called  J.B. Weld.
>
> Interesting, I'll probably try to do that. All I have available
> currently is some "super glue" (cyanoacrylate). I wonder whether it's a
> good idea to use it:
> * Perhaps it will conduct current or act as a resistor, so I should be
> very careful where I put it
> * Perhaps it will melt the PCB and cause serious issues
> * Perhaps next time the connector breaks (in case it ever happens
> again), the glue will stay attached to the PCB and cause part of the
> surface material of the PCB to detach

If I used some glue, I'd try to avoid the middle pin. The trace there
carries very small signals and should not be coupled (resistive or
capacitive) to other traces as it could introduce some distortion. If
you manage to add the glue only to the side pins I think everything
should be all right. I've not seen PCBs damaged by glue yet, but I
won't give any guarantees that it won't happen this time ;-)

  Christoph