[Gta04-owner] Shapeways case and MMC connector

Lukas Maerdian luk at slyon.de
Sat Apr 12 09:08:24 CEST 2014

Hi Paul,

> I received a gta04 case from Shapeways, all in white strong and
> flexible. While it has a nice feeling and the plastic seems strong,
> there are some serious downsides:
> * The plastic part that connects the front cover to the middle cover on
> the top of the case doesn't fit (apparently the hole is too small).

It should fit, also it's very tight. That's because the roughness of
the print. After you got it in some times, the roughness will decrease
and it will fit more easily.

> * The internal GPS antenna does not fit in the allowed space on the
> middle case: there are at least 2mm or 3mm missing between the two
> plastic parts to make it fit!

That spot is actually designed for the smaller Case-Kit (Taoglas) antenna:
http://www.taoglas.com/images/product_images/original_images/AP.12F.07.0045A.pdf
http://de.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Taoglas/AP12F070045A/?qs=QpZVHcK7GhSmauGUKusx1A==

But you can easily remove some plastic with a sharp knive.

> * It seems that the internal GPS antenna takes too much space and makes
> it impossible to close the front cover to the middle cover.

Same reason as above... maybe you can scratch of some plastic,
normally there was a very tiny hole, which was not printable.

> While I was able to fix the first two issues by cutting off parts of
> plastic, I encountered a more serious issue: the MMCX connector
> completely detached from the main board after I tried to make the gta04
> board fit in the case!

I've heard of more people breaking their MMCX connector. I think it's
not directly related to the printed case. But maybe it's more easy to
break it with a printed case, becase it is a bit tighter (due to the
roughness in the beginning). So one has to be very careful. I didn't
break mine in a very long time, using a lot of different 3D printed
cases along the way.

> I have a very thin soldering iron (1mm end) so I'll try to solder it
> back in place (I'll try to solder the two external pads and hope that
> the middle one, that I cannot access, still makes good contact).
> I'm guessing that the Shapeways case is somewhat stressing the board and
> got the connector to dislocate, or perhaps it the soldering was very
> weak from the start, or perhaps I damaged it earlier and didn't notice
> because I didn't move the board around.
>
> I hope I'll succeed in doing that, else I'll probably have to send the
> device back to Goldelico at some point.
>
> Also, I was a bit surprised to see that the internal GPS antenna doesn't
> fit. I thought it had been tested and approved already. Or maybe I just
> have a faulty print and should complain to Shapeways.

It's not a faulty print, but due to the reasons explained above.

BR,
  Lukas