[Gta04-owner] Shapeways case and MMC connector

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Sun Apr 13 15:12:26 CEST 2014

Le dimanche 13 avril 2014 à 08:44 -0400, Benjamin Deering a écrit :
> On 04/12/2014 11:14 AM, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
> > After about 4 hours of fighting with my soldering iron, inhaling more
> > tin smoke than I should have inhaled and soldering/unsoldering the
> > connector about a dozen times, I finally got the middle connector to
> > make reliable contact with the board. The soldering is apparently not
> > very strong (probably not stronger than it was originally), so I'll
> > have to remember to be very gentle with it.

> When I repaired my usb port on the gta04 I added some epoxy to reinforce
> my soldering.  I used a product called  J.B. Weld.

Interesting, I'll probably try to do that. All I have available
currently is some "super glue" (cyanoacrylate). I wonder whether it's a
good idea to use it:
* Perhaps it will conduct current or act as a resistor, so I should be
very careful where I put it
* Perhaps it will melt the PCB and cause serious issues
* Perhaps next time the connector breaks (in case it ever happens
again), the glue will stay attached to the PCB and cause part of the
surface material of the PCB to detach

Perhaps Nikolaus knows best what to do and not do?

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:        http://www.replicant.us/
Wiki/Tracker:   http://redmine.replicant.us/