[Gta04-owner] Antwort: Re: GTA04A5 - IrDA

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Tue Jan 8 11:45:23 CET 2013

Hello,

first an happy new year to all!

I still intend to use IrDA instead of UART in order to have an wireless
debug connection. On the host side, this seems to be a very easy task,
thanks to chips like these:
http://www.ti.com/product/tir1000
datasheet.octopart.com/HSDL-7000-Avago-datasheet-71627.pdf
www.vishay.com/docs/82546/toim4232.pdf

For example from Digikey you can get an IR-adapter like the TFDU4100:
http://www.digikey.de/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=tfdu4100

You can easily wire it with the encoder/decoder-chip and connect it to
something like this:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Modules/DS_FT2232H_Mini_Module.pdf

Then you even don't need any UART on the host anymore in order to debug. I
even think that GD could provide this easily as an optional cable like the
RS232-cable.

Unfortunately it has turned out, that on the target side things are quite
complicated. It's not enough just to switch some bits within the OMAP3 in
order to get a simple serial connection over IrDA. Instead of this, you
need a complete driver that is able to run a higher protocol.

Some searching in the net reveals a very nicely source named "omap-ir.c".
But as you can see, it's a networking driver for Linux, based on socket
communication. What we need is a concole driver for MLO and bootloader. My
first trial to rewrite the driver got stuck very soon, because I'm not an
expert for that. In the attachment you'll find my feeble result. Perhaps
its at least useful for inspiring someone other on this list...

Best regards
   Sven