[Gta04-owner] GTA04A5 - was 8mW sleep for Beagle Board

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Mon Jan 7 23:09:48 CET 2013

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:55:52 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 07.01.2013 um 04:56 schrieb NeilBrown:
>
> > On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 11:51:38 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
> > <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> >> It is on the GTA04A5 todo list. At least the "disable 26MHz oscillator" patch.
> >>

> > What else is on the A5 todo list?  I'm particularly hoping that inserting the
> > headset plug will cause an interrupt.
> > Any chance of seeing the schematics before you commit to them :-?
>
> Yes, that is planned to be finalized this week.
>
> Important (i.e. kernel relevant) changes are so far:
> * power down 26 MHz oscillator through switching off VPLL1 (tbc.)
> * LIS302 option removed completely
> * LSM303 option removed completely
> * BMA180 / HMC5883 replaced by BMC050
> * GPS-chip has 1 second pulse - connected to GPIO114 (was connected to LIS302)
> * IrDA can be separately enabled/disabled (GPIO175 or TGPIO7 - tbc.)
> * TCA8418 replaced by FFC connector (for external keyboard)
> * there will be an optional connection that a 3G wakeup can simulate pressing the power key (tbc.)
> * switch in headset jack will pull down a GPIO if no headset is inserted (tbc.)
> * RESET-OUT from UMTS module connected to a GPIO so that it is possible to detect if it is really running (tbc.)

Sounds good. thanks.

Though I wonder a bit about IrDA - does anyone actually care about that?  I
would imagine that most situations that would once have used IrDA would not
be using bluetooth.
The OMAP3 is capable of generating CIR (Consumer IR) signals which most
consumer electronics remote controls use.  That might be more useful, however
it needs to be wired differently.
The CIR signal goes out on the uart3_cts_rctx  pin, where as IrDA goes out on
uart3_tx_irtx - So I don't think they can use the same IrLED (???).

> Some options are a little critical and can't be tested before building the first devices.
> So there will be hardware options to disable/remove them if they don't work well enough.
>
> Non-software related changes replace some obsolete components, improve the
> GPS antenna switch, reduce noise generated by SD card interface, and make a
> really complete case kit possible with components from continued production.
>
> But at the moment it does not look as if there is any demand for a GTA04A5 board.
> So far there is exactly 1 preorder for a GTA04A5 board...

That's a shame.  Maybe demand will pick up as Christmas gets further and
further into the past...

NeilBrown