[Gta04-owner] Modem reenummerating (was: Re: Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone)

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Fri Aug 30 11:59:42 CEST 2013

On Friday, August 30, 2013 11:37:18 AM Sven Dyroff wrote:

> Yes, indeed you're able to spare this ugly workaround by passing it over
> to us users.
>
> But if you read my suggestion well, then you'll find my second offer of
> how to deal this situation: Let the AT_OPSYS-line simply been commented
> out as is. Then noone of us has additional work, because modem will
> continue to keep the current settings.

While this solution (implemented in v55) looks good at first sight, i nearly
throwed my new GTA04 out of window because of it. The phone was unusable
(because of reenumerates) and even i as commiter of the patch forgot that i
have to tell AT_OPSYS=0,2 to the modem. So this is clearly bad. It requires
regular user to fiddle with modem to prevent random crashes (which is much
worse noticable then slow GPRS).

I'd suggest to put the effort to really solve the problem. IMO we have got
enough of workarounds now. You can easily have 3G in QtMoko. Instead of
argueing if 3G is more important then phone calls let's try to solve the
problem now. We can get back to finding even better workarounds later...

Regards

Radek