[Gta04-owner] Modem reenummerating (was: Re: Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone)

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Fri Aug 30 09:49:09 CEST 2013

>> So I strongly suggest that in case you want QtMoko to deal with and
>> setting AT_OPSYS again, please let it present a dialog to the user
before
>> in order to let him choose what he wants.
>
> and if user answers wrong (everyone will tend to answer to use 3G) they
> will get crashing modem and missed calls...

A simple warning message presented by the dialog could inform the user
about the risk he will choose.

> If you need 3G why dont you write simple program/script that writes
AT_OPSYS=3,2
> to /dev/ttyHS_Control? You can even add this to /etc/rc.local if you
dont want to launch
> it manually.

because it should at least tend be user friendly. There're already enough
other reasons why it's still a geek phone, what again results in low
preorder quantities for Nikolaus.

> I think working telephony has much higher priority (at least for those
who try to use
> GTA04 as a phone) then fast internet connection.

Why should anyone use GTA04 as a 2G phone? There're enough GTA02s in the
world which already do this. I need GTA04 as a 3G phone or I don't need it
at all. Voice calls and SMS can be made by a second phone for 19 EUR.
Because the GTA04 is clumsy, this little additional mass doesn't matter
any more.

Best regards
   Sven