[Gta04-owner] Modem reenummerating (was: Re: Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Aug 29 11:50:26 CEST 2013

Am 29.08.2013 um 10:50 schrieb Radek Polak:

> On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 05:30:57 PM Radek Polak wrote:

> > > Ok, good to know.
> > >
> > > So it appears to be tied to the RING mechanism since:
> > > * outgoing calls are not affected
> > > * no need to answer the call
> > > * may or may not happen on SMS
> > >
> > > Does it happen at the moment the other side hangs up or at the moment the
> > > ring starts? Or is it not yet possible to decide between these cases
> > > (e.g. because of lack of precision to time the events)?
> >
> > I'll keep running my dial scripts and focus on this to confirm or deny it.
> > Unfortunately the phone now somehow started to behave much better and
> > reenumerate is not well reproducible. Could it be that my battery is now
> > charged full?
>
> Well i seems that my phone somehow lost the ability to easily reproduce this problem.

Looks like becoming a Heisenberg-Bug. The closer you look the less you can grab it...

> I think that it has lost it after playing with AT_OPSYS. My GTA04 is brand new and i havent used AT_OPSYS command until yesterday.

Unfortunately I don't know what the factory setting is.

> And until yesterday it used to reenumerate during like 25% of the phone calls. Yesterday i did 170 calls and only one reenumerate. Today i did 170 and 0 reenumerates (even when the phone is on low battery). I cant easily reproduce reenumerates even with:
>
> 	AT_OPSYS=2,3
>
> Maybe i should try all the AT_OPSYS combinations.

Well, they control which frequency bands/protocols are used (depending on availability by the network operator and the base stations in sight).

I think you can list the visible cells by "AT_ONCI?". I found that it reports only 2G even with AT_OPSYS=3,2 - so I might have no 3G voice call in action.

And if packet switched data is available (nobody uses circuit switched data any more). Voice is always circuit switched.

Hm. So it might also be a mixed bug between firmware and the network :(
I.e. depending on the way the radio channel is used, some thread in the firmware may crash and a watchdog is resetting the modem. Thus the reenumeration. But this is pure speculation...