[Gta04-owner] Modem reenummerating (was: Re: Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Aug 29 11:35:35 CEST 2013

Am 29.08.2013 um 11:10 schrieb Sven Dyroff:

> Hello Radek,
>
> > In the mean time i'll prepare QtMoko v56 which uses AT_OPSYS=0,2 (this line was commented in v55
> > because i believed that the reenumerate is fixed in kernel with the RING patch).
>
> this would mean v56 will use 2G only. That would make it unusable for at least my needs, because it would slow down data transfer rates so something like 10KB/sec again.    :-o
>
> So I strongly suggest that in case you want QtMoko to deal with and setting AT_OPSYS again, please let it present a dialog to the user before in order to let him choose what he wants.
>
> Due to what already has been pointed out within this list, this would mean for the first number:
>
> 0 - GSM or 2G or GPRS (opinions vary)  only
> 1 - UMTS or 3G only
> 2 - prefer 2G over 3G
> 3 - prefer 3G over 2G
> 4 - keep using whatever you are using now
> 5 - automatic selection.
>
> The default setting seems to be 0,2.
>
> The second number seems always to be set to 2.

I have found a description that includes the second parameter:

first number (mode):
0:	GSM only (2G only which IMHO includes GPRS and EDGE)
1:	WDMA only (3G only)
2:	GSM first (i.e. 2G over 3G)
3:	WCDMA first (i.e. 3G over 2G)
4:	no change
5:	auto

second number (service domain):
0:	circuit switched only (i.e. no GPRS/EDGE)
1:	packet switched only
2:	circuit and/or packed switched
3:	no preference
4:	no change
5:	demand PS attach
6:	demand PS detach

So I think what most of us would like to have is AT_OPSYS=3,2 and the user being able to disable 3G or 2G

-- hns