[Gta04-owner] Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Aug 27 00:06:16 CEST 2013

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 07:56:26 +1000
NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:58:21 +0200 Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Radek,
> >
> > > Together with reenumerating modem it makes GTA04 barely usable
> > > even for a few hardcore supporters but unusable for normal users.
> >
> > Not being reachable reliably is indeed the main barrier that
> > prevents GTA04 to be usable as daily phone. It results in the
> > requirement, that you need two phones to carry with you: One for
> > making phone calls and SMS and the GTA04 for the rest. Otherwise
> > you'll get the problems that Christ van Willegen described
> > exemplary:
> >
> > "I get a _lot_ of flack about not being reachable from my wife, who
> > repeatedly calls on me to drop the GTA project and get another
> > phone so I am reliably reachable again :-("
> >
> > The second big problem indeed is power management. But power usage
> > during suspend is a minor problem. Much more serious is the fact,
> > that you cannot charge GTA04 in the same way as you're used from
> > every other mobile device: Connect a charger to it in the evening
> > and have a fully charged device in the morning.
> >
> > Is it kernel or is it userspace which can be blamed for the
> > problem, that after having charged up to 100% GTA04 will discharge
> > again instead of switching over its power demand to external supply
> > and thus keep its battery at 100% filling level, like every other
> > mobile device does?
>
> Does every other device really do this?
>
> If you had a device which would last for 5 days in standby, then
> during the 6-8 hours between when the battery finished charging and
> when you unplug it in the morning, it would use 8/120 of 1/15th of
> the battery. If your display shows you battery level with 5 (or even
> 10) bars, this would still show as full.
>
> The reason it is a problem for GTA04 is not that it stops charging
> and then runs on battery, but that while on battery it uses too much
> current.
>
> It is possible to reprogram the hardware to start charging the
> battery again a bit earlier.  I think it currently restarts at about
> 75%.
>
> It isn't possible to run purely of the mains current as that
> typically only provides 500mA, and I think the modem can occasionally
> need bursts in excess of this.
>
> NeilBrown

Mine is unusable because I can't plug it in partly discharged and it
recharge from the USB power supply (mains, car, other battery brick).
It only recharges when it is fully discharged.
Once it's fully discharged it's off, and I may not notice or I may not
have any other source of power to recharge it at the time.