[Gta04-owner] Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Mon Aug 26 23:56:26 CEST 2013

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:58:21 +0200 Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de> wrote:

> Hello Radek,
>
> > Together with reenumerating modem it makes GTA04 barely usable
> > even for a few hardcore supporters but unusable for normal users.
>
> Not being reachable reliably is indeed the main barrier that prevents
> GTA04 to be usable as daily phone. It results in the requirement, that you
> need two phones to carry with you: One for making phone calls and SMS and
> the GTA04 for the rest. Otherwise you'll get the problems that Christ van
> Willegen described exemplary:
>
> "I get a _lot_ of flack about not being reachable from my wife, who
> repeatedly calls on me to drop the GTA project and get another phone so I
> am reliably reachable again :-("
>
> The second big problem indeed is power management. But power usage during
> suspend is a minor problem. Much more serious is the fact, that you cannot
> charge GTA04 in the same way as you're used from every other mobile
> device: Connect a charger to it in the evening and have a fully charged
> device in the morning.
>
> Is it kernel or is it userspace which can be blamed for the problem, that
> after having charged up to 100% GTA04 will discharge again instead of
> switching over its power demand to external supply and thus keep its
> battery at 100% filling level, like every other mobile device does?

Does every other device really do this?

If you had a device which would last for 5 days in standby, then during the
6-8 hours between when the battery finished charging and when you unplug it
in the morning, it would use 8/120 of 1/15th of the battery. If your display
shows you battery level with 5 (or even 10) bars, this would still show as
full.

The reason it is a problem for GTA04 is not that it stops charging and then
runs on battery, but that while on battery it uses too much current.

It is possible to reprogram the hardware to start charging the battery again
a bit earlier.  I think it currently restarts at about 75%.

It isn't possible to run purely of the mains current as that typically only
provides 500mA, and I think the modem can occasionally need bursts in excess
of this.

NeilBrown