[Gta04-owner] Aliyun (Alibaba/Yunos) android-spinoff

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 18:46:21 CEST 2013

Hi List,

Have you heard of Aliyun/YunOS [0]? I read the opening line of this news
item:
SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Alibaba Group said on Monday it will subsidize
handset makers that adopt its mobile operating system [1]

All I could figure out in a short while, was that it is some fork of
android, supposedly open sourced, but no sources published yet.

The interesting part is that they seem to sponsor manufacturers to build
handsets that run their OS. I have tried to register on their website,
but Googles' Chinese skills are not up to par with the registration
page, nor are mine.

Wait, I just found some more on the offer:
"It will subsidize handset makers by paying them an ongoing fee of RMB 1
($0.16) a month for every phone they sell, providing the phone’s owner
remains an active user of the software." [2] No note on "active user".

Well, that's less than I hoped for. Anyway, a waste to just dispose of
the email now, maybe there's something in it in the end.

Best regards,

Boudewijn

[0] http://www.yunos.com/ ,
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=nl&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yunos.com%2F