[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Thu Apr 4 13:48:21 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-04 10:03, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 04.04.2013 um 11:40 schrieb Bob Ham:

> The A5 board design has the correct contact points for a new earpiece
> we can buy in small quantities at a reasonable price, while the A4
> board doesn't. And, we have prepared it to better accomodate a new
> UMTS antenna.

I see.

>> You said there are about €3000 of one-off costs.  I presumed this
>> meant one-off costs for each design; that is, the stencil and machine
>> setup could be reused for different production runs of the same
>> design.  When you said "one-off" is that per design, or per production
>> run?
>
> Mainly per design.

OK, so there is less of a barrier for producing new A4 boards, which is
at least good if the A5 is never produced.

> If you repeat a production run after let's say 3 months without any
> change of this basic data, only the machine setup and tear down time
> costs additional money.

So there are some per-production run costs as well, I see.

> What I even forgot to mention is CE (re)certification cost for
> changes. But it is <1000 EUR.

In total then, there are about €4000 in one-off costs for a production
run of a new design.  I think it's eminently possible to raise that
through crowdfunding.  Moreover, I don't think we're going to determine,
a priori, whether such a crowdfunding effort will be successful.  I
think the only way to determine whether it will be successful is to do
it.

So why not do it? :-)

> A glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel is that in the last two
> weeks since we started this discussion, there are more new entries in
> the "whishlist".

Personally, I wouldn't trust the data collected through this.  I think
there's a much greater market than these data would suggest.  I would
almost certainly purchase a GTA04-based tablet if one was produced but I
have not engaged with the wishlist feature of the Golden Delicious
website to express that interest.  There are a variety of reasons for
this.  I'll try to articulate some:

1. Not liking the idea of a personal wishlist being in a company's
possession
2. Not liking the idea of my intentions being stored in a company's
database
3. Not liking the idea of my email address being stored in a company's
database
4. Not wanting to receive "e-mail information"
5. Poor website design causing both (a) discouragement, and (b) lack of
confidence
6. Lack of confidence in the basic idea of the wishlist; creating a
personal wishlist on a website is not buying something and it's only the
buying something which is of interest.
7. Lack of confidence in the data collected through the wishlist; if I
don't engage in it for all the above reasons and others, who else will?
In which case, what's the point?

These reasons are not flattering, sorry.  Again, in the interest of the
project, I'm being honest rather than avoiding difficult truths.

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }